Sunday, March 11, 2007

Roadtrips


Do you ever go on a road trip and in your gut you can feel that something is bound to go wrong? Well, that seems to be the ongoing case for Rob and I. Whenever the two of us go on a road trip, it never fails that something is bound to go wrong. Let me go back a couple years ago...say September 2003.

So I am working up north at a beautifull park called Obatanga Provincial Park and I have no way to come back down to the civilization of the GTA so Rob comes to pick me up. It's my last night up there, and Rob's only night there; the car is loaded and my foreman, Rob, and I chill around the last campfire of the season (park is now closed up and we are the last ones there...creepy, maybe just a little but I got used to it pretty quickly). Rob and I get up early and I start the trip off with driving. Now, one thing to realize is that we have a 10hr. trip ahead of us, so we drive down to Sault. Ste Marie and everything is all good, and then down to Sudbury and by this time it's around lunch time. We are just entering the greater Sudbury area and Rob realizes that...he forgot his very expensive watch(it was a gift) and we absolutely had to go back to get it. Now, I am not impressed cause I just want to go home! I try calling the park and my foreman is gone, and I can't remember the sister park's staff house phone number(it's unlisted). So as much as I want to go home, I say fine, let's go back to get it. I then take Rob onto a back logging road that cut off about an hour or so off of our drive and we make it up to the park. It's all closed and locked up, no one is around and neither is his watch where he accidentally left it. We then drive another hour up north to the sister park, White Lake Provincial Park and all the guys there couldn't believe that we drove that much to get this watch. They offered for us to stay for the night but at that time I just wanted to get home and go to a church service so I said thanks and we were on our way. It's early morning and we are both tired. We make our way down and we finally make it past Barrie and...Tire blew! We pull off right away(gotta remember this little VW golf hatch was packed right up with my stuff) onto the shoulder and unpacked the car, take out the spare, switch tires and repack the car all in a matter of 15 min. Unbelievable! Alright, time for our home stretch, and yes we do make it safely at like 5am or something around there; we make it to my house with my dad getting up to go for a run, crazy guy;).

Alright, time for adventure #2 for Rob and Dan. Two weekends ago Rob and I are going on a little trip(about 3hr. drive) to see our friend, Anthony. He is currently at a school called Summit College. My car is loaded, fresh oil change, winter tires on, ready to go. We head off and I decide to take the 407 because it's much faster than taking the other highways to get to the 400. We enter Vaughn and something happens to my car. I am pushing the gas pedal and my car is backfiring and I am getting no power from my engine. I pull over onto a shoulder on a bridge. Great start to another road trip! I check under the hood of my car and I see that something is glowing bright red so I tell Rob that we need to get out ASAP and get everything out as well. We do. He's now on the phone with his brother in law and Rob gets us a rental for the weekend. The glowing dies down and everything is alright and I call CAA, they have a tow truck coming. Next, a cop pulls over and says that where my car is parked is an absolute hazard and tells us to get in the back of his Suburban cruiser(ya, we were in the back of a cop car). He calls for a tow truck(now I have to cancel CAA and send the bill to them from the tow truck that arrives) and literally 3 sec. after the cop is off of his radio, there's the truck. Turns out he deals with Robs brother's company and they know the same people and we managed to swindle him down to less than what CAA would've charged me. WOOT! We get the rental and have a great time up to Huntsville area. Nothing goes wrong throughout the weekend, we have a fun time until it's Sunday morning and Anthony thought he forgot something in the van (What you have to understand is that Anthony had to leave early to go on a winter camping trip); both Rob and I are asleep(I remember hearing something about keys but not clueing into anything at all...). Anthony gets the keys and goes on his way. It's several hours later and I get out of the shower and dressed and come out of the washroom and Rob is just waking up and asks me where the keys are. "I have no clue" I answer and then I realized what happened; Anthony forgot to bring them upstairs and he still has them. We search high and low for them hoping he left them somewhere, check once then twice in the van and still nothing. I finally decide to call the gatehouse at Algonquin where they are going and hope that maybe they are actually at the gatehouse or haven't come by yet and it's then that Anthony calls and tells us that he has them and his leader is bringin them back. It's an hour back to Summit and then another back up to the park and the leader will cross-country ski back in by himself. Wow! It works out and we get the keys and we think everything is great, until we reach Barrie and I try to call my Dad. No one is home, so I try the cell and nothing. Hmm, I try again later and still nothing and again and again. Crap, we are now stuck in Mississauga where we have to drop off the rental. Karen can't come, and we can't get ahold of my dad, so we go to McDonalds and pretty much spend our afternoon there until I finally get ahold of my dad, only to find out that he ran a 1/2 marathon(21km) to prep for the Boston Marathon coming up that he qualified for(42km in 3hrs 19min)! They then drive an hour to come pick us up and drive us over to Ancaster and have some tea/coffee at Rob and Karens which made it worth it for them. Thanks again Dad and Teresa! So...this has been another one of our great adventures.

I think anyone and everyone who knows us and knows about our travelling together has come to the realization that if and when we go on road trips together, to expect the unexpected, not worst but just unexpected. We never know what's going to happen but can guarantee that something is going to happen, it appears to bring adventure into our lives haha. We say this not only because of these two larger trips, but because we have had many, many fun adventures in the past while driving together. It's always a good time driving around with Rob!

17 Comments:

At 3/13/2007 12:54:00 AM, Blogger Lethal Interjection said...

That's right, I had forgotten the details to Adventure #1. When you said it, I remembered being told the story, but not the story itself. Ah, fun times.

 
At 3/13/2007 02:54:00 PM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

Ya man, good times! You and I are due up for some sort of road trip soon, maybe a camping trip or something this summer

 
At 3/14/2007 03:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just passing by and thought i would be the one to tell you that you should really work on those writing and grammer skills. keep it more to the point ... a creative writing class might be a good idea

 
At 3/16/2007 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Hey Anonymous,

Look, I'm a big ol' grammar and writing snob myself over here, but really this is a blog, not a scholastic journal. Let the man write how he wants to write. This page isn't exactly required reading. And perhaps before calling someone to the floor for their writing and grammar skills, we should take the time to check over our own spelling ("grammer" Unless, of course, you are speaking about one who grams. In that case, carry on, sir or madam.) and sentence structure. It just looks sloppy. It also tends to weaken your argument when you display a distinct lack of writing ability in your admonishments.

 
At 3/16/2007 12:48:00 AM, Blogger Lethal Interjection said...

I am going to have to agree with Sam here. Perhaps your anonymous criticism might be better suited elsewhere. I mean Dan will be the first to admit his grammar isn't perfect, but at the same time, as blogs go, his writing and grammar are far above average. I mean there were no LOL's or anything.

 
At 3/16/2007 01:07:00 PM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

Thanks guys! I know I don't have the best writing skills but I try and this is what you're going to get out of and from me.I appreciate the support from you two, Tim and Sam!!!

 
At 3/16/2007 01:07:00 PM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3/16/2007 02:03:00 PM, Blogger Lethal Interjection said...

Any time. It does make me livid when the anonymity of the internet turns people into jerks.

 
At 3/23/2007 08:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ignorance is bliss … blog or no blog; always present yourself in the most intelligent manner possible … pleading internet blog ignorance, just won’t cut it! Sorry

 
At 3/23/2007 12:33:00 PM, Blogger Lethal Interjection said...

You and the Grammar Brigade -- working together to save the internet from unsatisfactory writing -- must have quite the task ahead of you. Its just too bad that your badge gives you carte blanche to be an ass. I have pleaded nothing of "blog ignorance", I'm merely saying that if you are out there to purge bad grammar from the internet there are other places with far greater need of your unsolicited services.
But yet, here you are, serving up your criticisms anonymously, in an elitist, derogatory way, under the guise of being helpful. And, "present yourself in the most intelligent manner possible"? Did you spend as much time on that sentence as you would a carefully-crafted thesis statement? No? Then you better bite your tongue.

 
At 3/30/2007 01:03:00 AM, Blogger karen said...

hey, dan...

in adventure #1, you forgot to include that not one person thought to imform Rob's fiance of the fact that he was going to be home 12 hours later than originally planned. how many frantic messages did i leave on his cell phone? 30? 40? ...

 
At 3/30/2007 09:00:00 AM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

Ya Karen, it's true. The word tried to get sent out but either we had no reception or the message wasn't sent to you. I'm sure it must've been somewhat of a frightening evening for you with not hearing from us, but...it all worked out and we did finally manage to call. We made it back safe and sound!

 
At 4/04/2007 09:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I was reading these comments and just had to add something. So we have this Anonymous person who seems to be attacking Dan on his grammar. Now while I do notice a few mistakes on his part maybe we should go ahead and take a quick peek at yours. Grammar is spelt with an 'A' not an 'E' but hey everyone makes mistakes right? Then we look and we find no capitals, was ur SHIFT button broken that day or something? Oh and at the end of sentences we like to have these little dots, we call them periods. Anyways just thought that I would try and help you out, I read somewhere that creative writing classes help. Good luck!

 
At 4/05/2007 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will say it again here. Dan has barely made any comments himself. Why is everyone else fighting his battle for him?

 
At 4/06/2007 01:11:00 AM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

Battle? What battle? First of all, I never asked any one of these people to come and make comments on my blog. I have consistently asked you to leave and never come back but as much as pesky rats infect a house so you come on here and infect my blog by making unnecessary comments. So here it is, why don't you reveal yourself and stop hiding and maybe, just maybe I'll ask these people to stop bashing you. In all due respect, you come on MY blog and try to bash me and yet you yourself make mistakes. Before you can say anything else towards me, make sure that you, yourself are perfect in every way. Since I know that will never happen, why don't you just relax, take some valium and go search up other bloggers to annoy. And finally, I'm not the one who is scared/afraid of hiding behind some anonymous name. Though I know I don't have the best grammar skills, I am still not afraid to say what I have to, how I want to, and when I want to and not hide behind some anonymous name. So show yourself or BE GONE!!!

 
At 11/30/2007 09:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, I'm not the one having homosexual sex behind my parents back. Yeah. Chew on the piece of lard. Dink.

 
At 1/17/2008 01:24:00 PM, Blogger Dan Ponsen said...

Haha...you're an idiot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home