Friday, February 20, 2009

Banff Day Trip


Yesterday was another amazing day of travelling around Alberta. I have been so blessed this whole trip with weather that has been nothing short of spectacular. My friends Chris and Sarah live in a town about an hour south of Calgary so I went to go visit them. We then went to Banff for the day.
Banff is a real tourist friendly town. When I first arrived, I thought that I would feel awkward taking pictures in the town but it didn't take long until I saw other people doing the exact same as me. I just love the placement of the town because no matter where you look, you are surrounded by the beauty of mountains. I couldn't imagine what it must be like to wake up every morning and be reminded of God by way of seeing the mountains. I am intrigued by how each peak is completely different from another.
After lunch, the three of us took the gondola up Sulphur Mountain to the top. I felt like I was on top of the world. Seriously, on top of the world! I was short of breath while hiking to the old weather station which was on the top of the peak. The view was spectacular! I don't even think that the word spectacular can describe it. I really couldn't believe what I was seeing. I could see the TransCanada highway heading towards Lake Louise, the Bow River snaking through the valleys of mountains, the tree lines that never ended at a specific elevation but at very different spots along the mountains, the clouds running their course through the mountain peaks, it was all very breath-taking.
Well, I did do more that day in Banff. The three of us saw the Banff Springs Hotel. It's massive! What I didn't know is that it was built by the CP Rail. When I heard that, it made sense to me as of why it looks like a castle-sized CP Rail station which is essentially what it is. We then went to the hot springs. There is a strong, strong scent of sulphur but apparently the minerals in the water are really good for the skin and some have gone as far as to say that they have been healed because of the water.
I have once again been struck by amazement of God's creation and the thought and effort he put into it. I am thankful to have such a love for the outdoors and all that God has created.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home